Tuesday, February 26, 2008

visit to ICU

As far as I can remember, I have been into the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) twice. Once was when my grandmother was really sick, (she has passed away now) and the other one is on 31st January.

The invitation came from my cousin, Dr. Mafeitz, when I visited Ibdil who was admitted into University Malaya Medical Center (UMMC) but not into the ICU, just the normal ward (should have taken a pic then... slipped my mind).

Anyway, I had dinner with Dr.M (fondly called Telal by yours truly) and then we went into the ICU where Telal was on-call for the whole night.

As I walked through the alleyway of rooms, I have this.... uuuuuu..... I see 'almost dead' people, feeling. Apart from the 'death hanging in the air' creepiness, the ICU was filled with mellow beeping noises from the many electronic devices and sounds coming from pumps of ill people breathing through them. I sympathise those in ICU. I think Telal said something like only 30% leave the ICU alive.

As we chit-chatted away, Telal brought out the story of the Cicak-Man making his appearances to 'almost dead people' in the ICU room just next to his Doctor's On-Call Room and the story of people hearing the sound of a baby crying in one of the rooms there as well. Talk about creepy... 'almost dead people' and more?? Yoiks!

Izzat then came to join us and we chatted some more, especially about medical stuff, emergency response and rescue (yeah, heavyweight stuff most of the time [macam bagus aku]... hehehe).

Well, I finally left the ICU a little more learned. Thanks, Telal. I wouldn't have had the privilege to go into the ICU without you.

No, we are not gay!

No comments: