Monday, January 19, 2009

great eastern 20km run

The question in my recent post on whether I was ready for my first ever 20km run was answered yesterday and it was a resounding, no.

No, because I was feeling faint and light-headed after 16km of running (just before the last water station), I was so hungry during the run (must bring food next time, like kurma and peanuts), I had major cramps on both my legs just after the 28km signboard and my timing was bad.

I think I reached the limits of my body while running this distance, of course walking 20km wouldn't be this hard. Nevertheless, it was well worth it because I did plan to run 21km in the upcoming KLIM and this is one good gauge of my body's readiness.

Looks like I've upped the ante on myself this time. Today, my thighs hurt when I walk, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

All in all, this was a good run and a good opening for year 2009, eventhough I suffered from it. I'm happy that I could run most of the course and did less walking than I thought I would have.


We're off!

To Telal and Wan Edrin, you guys did great!

Stats:
Time : 2 hours 57 mins
Calories burned : 4048kcal
Peak heart rate (HR) : 192 bpm
Average HR : 176 bpm


I was actually running... ;)


And again... just before finishing.


Yes, I can smile now.


Fallout boys?


One for the memories.


Hehehe... lapar sehingga mengigit pingat.

ps - thanks Shazly and Tey for the excellent photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first 20k which was done on a very challenging terrain! Don't worry, KLIM is five months away, still plenty of time to train. About feeling hungry during running, did you take a light breakfast before leaving home? And taking some light food like kurma during running also helps. A friend I know munches on jelly beans, kurma pun not such a far substitute. Some people take gels, but the tummy may not agree with it coz it tends to cause gas. Anyway, SA is a very good training ground for KLIM. All the best!

Azad said...

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Haza.

Yes, I had a banana and some kurma for breakfast.

Naza said...

Azad, congratulations on your first 20k, I was indeed running, err.. limping in front of you near the Selangor Palace when you were hit with those cramps. I saw another guy cramping heavily near National Monument. That was my first 20k as well. Hope to connect with you in future races.

Azad said...

Thanks. Sorry I didnt recognize you then, Naza. But well met, in cyberspace. :)